Thursday, February 18, 2010

How to land a Teacher Job

My name is Christina Velardi and I am a proud teacher of 9th-12th grade students. I teach Spanish at Manchester Township High School.
I landed my first teaching job right out of college (Georgian Court University in Lakewood, NJ).

Luckily for me, at that time, the high school was looking to fill a Spanish teacher position. I heard through the grapevine how great this district was, went for the interview and landed the job!! I have been at MTHS ever since and loving it!

I landed my first teaching job because I am passionate about my subject area, enthusiastic and my teaching style varies to accommodate all learners.

Finding a teaching job can be hard, but here is some advice to make it easier by being yourself and not giving up. I think it’s important to be able to “sell” yourself in an interview. I think that as long as you are passionate about what you teach and it shows, then you will have no problem getting hired in a school district. Bring something special to the table- some new innovative way of doing things in the classroom and be sure to address all learners/styles of learning because as we know not everyone learns the same way. Be confident that you are the only one for the job!

This post is part of the Teaching Jobs Portal: “How to land a Teacher Job”. What was your journey like to become a teacher? If you’d like to share your experience with other aspiring teachers please see this post for more information

1 comment:

  1. Nice post, Marieta. GCU loves to hear great things from its grads. As the university's PR director, I'd enjoy reading more about your experience in education. Keep writing, and we'll keep reading.

    Gail Towns
    gtowns@georgian.edu
    gailtowns@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete